Professional Development School Steering Committee
What is PDS?
PDS stands for Professional Development Schools, which is a professional partnership between Rowan University and Holly Glen Elementary school. As partners Rowan and Holly Glen work together to provide professional development for practicing teachers at Holly Glen as well as Rowan students that are learning to become future teachers.
In addition, as a PDS Holly Glen students have the opportunity to be exposed to educational strategies, methodologies, and educational theory. This opportunity is provided through the relationship between the university liaison and Holly Glen’s classroom teachers.
Data is continually gathered to assess the needs of Holly Glen faculty/staff, Holly Glen students, and Rowan students. Members involved in this partnership have presented at state, national, and international conferences. Please read the latest Rowan newsletter for more information.
Serving Holly Glen students
- Third Grade students learned comprehension strategies through the use of literature
- Second Grade students learned writing strategies through the use of literature
- Mini lessons presented to each grade level using picture books as mentoring text to support comprehension strategies
Holly Glen liaison, Mrs. Patti Martin and Rowan University liaison, Dr. Stacey Leftwich collected data to present at the following:
- West Jersey Reading Conference Presentation
- Professional Development School National Conference
- International Reading Conference