February 2017 NEWSLETTER
Black History Month and Engineering Month
Listed below are some important dates and attached to the newsletter is the calendar for the month of February and a copy of “Helping Children Learn”.
The character trait for February is “Honesty”: “Honest hearts produce honest actions.”
Beginning Monday, January 30th through Friday, February 3rd, our students in Grades 1-4 will be participating in Jump Rope for Heart during their scheduled P.E. classes.
Invention Convention news from Jessica Fensch in the TAG program—
Do you like to invent things? Then the Invention Convention is the thing for you!! Third and fourth grade students have the exciting opportunity to participate in Monroe Township Schools’ 4th Annual Invention Convention! The program challenges students to invent or innovate using the invention process. Inventing helps encourage creative thinking, develops problem-solving skills and allows students to experience the problem-solving method first-hand as they observe, collect data, analyze, evaluate, organize and revise. A parent informational meeting is on February 2nd from 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. in the Oak Knoll Auditorium.
- The Holly Glen Home and School Association monthly meeting will take place on Monday, February 13, 2017 at 7:15 p.m. in the Library.
- School will be closed on Monday, February 6, 2017 due to a teacher inservice day.
- February Spirit Days - Friday, February 3, Friday, February 10 (Flash Back Friday), Tuesday, February 14 (wear red or pink), Friday, February 24 ( favorite character shirt day)
- Valentine Dance sponsored by the HSA. February 10, 2017 – 7:00 p.m. in APR Hope to see you there for a fun-filled evening. Remember this is a Character Ed/Family Night with NO homework!
- School is closed on Friday, February 17th and Monday, February 20th in observance of President’s Day.
- The Bus/Walker recognition ceremony will be held at 2:45 p.m. on Tuesday, February 21st in the APR and the C.H.A.M.P. recognition program will be held on Wednesday, February 22nd at 9:15 a.m. in the APR.
PLEASE NOTE: In the event of inclement weather, our district’s school closing number is 811. Parents will also be notified by the district’s Global Connect system. We encourage parents to listen to KWY 1060 News Radio, and/or watch News Channels 3, 5, 6, 10 and 17 for updates on School Closings. This information will also be posted on our district web page, www.monroetwp.k12.nj.us. In the event of an early dismissal (1:20 p.m.), please have a contingency plan for your child(ren), directing them as to where they should go if school should close early due to inclement weather conditions; also the afternoon kindergarten session will be cancelled on these days.
Reminder from Tracy Knight, School Nurse: Having a safe home is a family effort. Families need to be diligent together to keep their home safe and elementary age children are at the right age to start pitching in and helping. Please refer to http:///www.kidpointz.com/parenting-articles/elementary-school/kids-health-safety/view/kids-home-safety-tips/index.html for home safety tips to keep in mind.
PARENTS, please remember that school begins each day at 8:55 a.m. and ends at 3:30 p.m. It is imperative that your child arrive on time each day and does not leave school early. The late arrival and early dismissal of students is a major interruption to the instructional process. Thank you for your cooperation.
KAREN PONTANO- CROSSLEY, PRINCIPAL